On the death of the founder, his son, Edward Lloyd Jones (1844–1894), led the company.
Among the many drawcards were the Dobell exhibition of 1944, the Duke of Bedford's collection in 1962, and the Mendel Collection of Modern Painting, also in 1962.
Prominent arts societies that held annual exhibitions there included the Australian Art Society, the Society of Artists, Australian Watercolour Institute, Contemporary Art Society and Society of Sculptors and Associates.
In 1980 the Adelaide Steamship Company acquired a substantial interest in David Jones, culminating in a complete takeover.
The recession of the early 1990s caused the department store assets to be floated as "David Jones Limited".
David Jones was then a private company but in 1906, it became a public company.
Edward Lloyd Jones Jnr became chairman of directors and held that position until he resigned In 1921.
There was a small branch located in the Australia Hotel on Martin Place. David Jones acquired and then converted the Big W Department Stores at Kotara Fair and the two storey Big W at Warrawong in 1971. There was a store in Wagga Wagga due to the purchase of David Copland & Co in 1953 (closed 1971).
In 1954, a State banquet was held for visiting Queen Elizabeth II in the restaurant of the Elizabeth Street store. David Jones' expanded into Victoria in the 1960s and in 1982 acquired the three stores of Buckley & Nunn located in Bourke Street, Northland, and Chadstone (closed the latter in 1983).
A significant feature of the Elizabeth Street shop, contributing greatly to its aura of quality and exclusivity, was the David Jones Art Gallery founded in 1944.
Directors included Will Ashton (1944–47), Marion Hall Best (1947–49), John Amory (1949–50), M P Ferrandiere (1950–53), George Duncan (1953–63), Robert Haines (1963–76), Brian Moore (1976–84) and Peta Phillips (1984-92).