Special Collections Research Center also houses numerous holdings in the areas of plastics and industrial design.Please refer to the SCRC Subject Index for a complete listing.
Founded in Syracuse, New York in 1890 by immigrant Adolph Holstein, the Syracuse Ornamental Company (Syroco) specialized in decorative wood carving, especially for the local residential market.Return to top Preferred citation for this material is as follows: Syracuse Ornamental Company (Syroco) Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Syracuse University Libraries Initial collection of annual reports and catalogs, gift of Alexander Holstein, 2011 Created by: SG Date: Revision history: Return to top Syroco Wood: Creations by Master Craftsmen (undated, circa 1940s? 4 (includes some items in Plastics Artifacts Collection); Syroco Wood: Art Products, Creations by Master Craftsmen (undated, circa 1940s?), 14 pp.; Syroco Wood Devotional items (undated, circa 1940s? 8, 8 ½" x 11 , 6 panel gate fold; Syroco Wood Gifts and Decorative Accessories (1940), 6 pp. 9; Syroco Wood Decorative Accessories (1947) (photocopy selected pages), Catalog No.Sales catalogues from the early 1900s through the 1920s offer hundreds of varieties of moldings, capitals, brackets, volutes, and reliefs of vases, garlands, cartouches, scrollwork, and other details in a variety of styles.Syroco operated from a large factory complex on 581 South Clinton Street in Syracuse acquired from Smith Corona Typewriter Company.Collection contains illustrated sales catalogues spanning most of the company’s existence and annual reports from the later period after it was sold to non-Syracuse corporations.The Syracuse Ornamental Company, known as Syroco, was an American manufacturing company based in Syracuse, New York.Return to top The majority of our archival and manuscript collections are housed offsite and require advanced notice for retrieval.Researchers are encouraged to contact us in advance concerning the collection material they wish to access for their research.The company remained in the hands of the Holstein family for three generations, with some of Adolph's children and grandchildren taking over management and sales positions.At its peak, about 400 workers were employed at the plant.